Friday 29 January 2010

Birthday Blues

Birthday's would be like THE most exciting time of my life ever since I was a little kid. It would be like a whole big event being planned. Two weeks in advance, my mom and my sister would go out shopping for 'return gifts' (back in the day) and all those shiny accessories to put on walls and make the house look like an interior decorator's nightmare. But what joy those things would bring.
I would start pestering my sister about my birthday gift a month prior to my birthday. It would be so much fun to make her do all my work (which she does anyway) just because my birthday is coming up and she has to be nice-r to me.
Next would be the birthday invitations and the dress shopping. Colorful invitations with a house map on the back would be printed and I would go and distribute them in school, thrilled that I've invited all my favorite people and anticipating the big day. Then came the dresses. One for wearing to school (those wonderful 'color dress' days) and the other for the evening party. Finally the big day - Games, laughter, yummy cake and food and lots of gifts and joy. I actually miss that.
Im going to turn 22 tomorrow, and for the first time in these 22 years my sister isn't here to celebrate it with me. There was no birthday month. There was no gift pestering talk. I know she's going to be just as lonely tomorrow as I will be, and her voice will choke with emotions as she will talk to me tonight at 12am.
I miss you.

1 comment:

  1. It wasn't all that bad in the end was it? ;) We made it as good as can be and I hope that counts.

    - A.S.

    ReplyDelete